It's my favorite day of the year, and not just because of the stuffing (although that's a big part of it). It goes back to celebrations when I was a child, meals around the table at our neighbor's house, more food than any one group of people could possibly consume and desserts that rivaled anything the finest pastry chefs could present. It's memories of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and the Macy's parade (complete with Santa losing his pants).
It's family ... that big, big family made up of everyone you love. It's waking up early the next day to go shopping, and it's taking a moment to really consider everything you have to be grateful for.
It's almost Thanksgiving, and with that in mind, I feel compelled to list those things I'm grateful for, right this very moment.
- My family - the people I'm related to, and the ones I've chosen (and who choose me right back).
- Music. My life's soundtrack is varied and beautiful.
- The way 2012 has been filled with opportunities to travel.
- Warm socks.
- Pumpkin muffins, soup, bread, etc.
- Home. Right now, and for the next few years, home is my sister Pat's house. It really feels like home these days, and for that I am extremely grateful.
- My cat, Benld.
- My dog, Pork Chop. He lives in Minnesota.
- The ability to be active. Sometimes my body aches, but at least it's because I'm moving!
- Makeup. Heaven knows I look like a better "me" with a little concealer and a sweep of mascara.
- The iPhone. And my iMac. i'M happy with them.
- Being busy. There was a weekend, last winter, when I had nothing planned. How weird is that?
- Pandora radio.
- Making a list, and checking it twice.
- Simple kindnesses.
- A good night's sleep.
- Four-day weekends.