Tuesday, July 23, 2013


Well first of all, shit. I haven't blogged here in over a month! Shame.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way ... on we go. What a weekend I had!

Kicked it off early with some lap swimming at Centennial Beach in Naperville. They have a few 50-meter lanes that make it super easy to get into a nice swimming groove. Pam, Jim, Linda and Meg came down to enjoy a cool workout on a hot evening, and then the five of us headed to Potter's Place for a little nosh. Lately I just cannot get enough street tacos, so this was the perfect spot for me to land.

Friday started with a trip to Raging Waves - Illinois' largest water park. I soaked up some sun with my sister at my side, and it felt awesome. Truly relaxing, even on a hot hot day in Chicagoland. We are experiencing temps these days that rival hell, so a big pool is just what I needed!

I followed up the pool with a late lunch at Bien Trucha in Geneva, with my friend Kristen. An order of esquites later (oh, heavenly corn dish, how I love you!) and I was in my blissful happy place. (Not to mention some street tacos [addicted much?] and hibiscus iced tea.) That night, my sister Pat and I met up with my friends Patrick, Javier, Mike and Jerry for a concert at River Edge Park in Aurora. What an incredible evening! The heat loosened its grip as the sun went down, and the amazing Idina Menzel took the stage

Saturday started with an early swim (sheesh, lotsa water lately!) and weight training, after which Linda and I boarded a train for the city. We caught a cab to McCormick place for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon expo and packet pickup. We had a great time, bought a few souvenirs and headed back to the 'burbs to carbo load. (Not before we realized we'd forgotten to pick up our Chill Zone passes, which would allow us private bathrooms and bag check for the race, so we had to take another cab back to the expo, and then return to the train station. Yet another adventure, for sure!)

Sunday dawned dark and early, as we met our fellow runners at 4:45 a.m. to make the trek downtown. We arrived in the city as the sun was coming up, and spent the better part of the morning running/walking/sweating/praying for sweet sweet death. (Wanna know how I did? Clique vous, sil vous plait.) After which, we drove back to the 'burbs, took a quick shower, and drove to a different burb for comfort food/lunch. Heaven On Seven serves New Orleans-style food and drink, and delights all my senses. I had Parmesiano-Reggiano Grits with Shrimp, and a mint julep; yup, heaven! And so worth it.

I was grateful to be not too far from home, and had about an hour to spare once I arrived back at Camp Clovertree before we met Dad and the fam for a little celebratory dinner for my sister Pat's birthday. When the events of the weekend were over, I collapsed, exhausted, into bed. Seriously ... pooped. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.


Janie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janie said...

I can do you one better. I hadn't blogged in six months. I did today, but it's not much. I am trying to work my way back into it, but life is a bit of a struggle at the moment. I know it is temporary, but I must admit to someone; I am overwhelmed.