Sometimes, people are nice. They say nice things. They do stuff just because it makes me smile. I wanted to record a couple of them.
About ten years ago, there was this guy who could make my toes curl with just a smile. I have a letter he wrote to me - the sweetest Dear Jane letter ever, in which he basically explained that our friendship couldn't continue because our past couldn't fit into his future. Here's what he wrote:
- "I think of you like a force of nature - you are like a sprite, a being not of this world, exiled like many of us from something or some place. Don't forget this; I never do. Thus comes the disquiet in my soul."
I rarely hear from him anymore, and each time I think of him it's sort of a bittersweet walk down memory lane. I suppose in some ways he'll always be my one that "got away."
But it's not as though that's the last nice thing that was said, so I thought I'd keep a record here of things people have said that bring a ray of light to my dark and twisty soul.
- "You know, there really is nothing sexier than a woman doing your dishes."
- "And yet, you're beautiful...especially when you don't think so."
- "He's stupid. And blind. And retarded."
- "And THAT's why he makes me mad - he made you feel like less than."
- "You were fun before the beer."
- "I like your hair like that. It's thick, and unruly...like you, but not the way that sounded."
- "Sorry, but it's not charming when you flip out when dinner doesn't turn out. It is, however, charming the way you have a level three nervous breakdown because you hurt a friend."
- "I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong; I'm saying I'm right and you're cute."
- "No one else will ever be you and me."