Thursday, July 2, 2009

Policies

So yesterday at the office, we were provided with our Social Networking Policy. In it, we learn ...

"Employees are prohibited from using the name ... in any online social networking and blogging activities without express permission" from the undisclosed company for which I work.

Additionally, even while we are forbidden to name said company, we are prohibited from posting material that is "obscene, vulgar, defamatory, threatening, discriminatory, harassing, abusive, hateful or embarrassing to another person or entity."

So let me get this straight: I can't tell anyone where I work (which, incidentally, is not the CIA) but I also can't make fun of anyone or use the eff word? Seriously?

In an effort to comply, I have removed the name of the undisclosed company for which I work from this here blog and my social networking activities. But yikes, it seems a wee bit Big Brother-ish to me. Here's my favorite line in the policy:

"Employees have no right to absolute privacy when they post on a social networking site, regardless of where the employee accesses the Internet."

Except when they wrote it, it wasn't punctuated quite as well.

Not meaning to complain too much here. I still love my job. But isn't it enough that I occasionally pee in a cup for them? Doesn't my pride in my company preclude their fear that I might say "company name" and "did you see the way she tucked her skirt into her panties?" in the same body of work? These are the questions that keep me up at night. Those, and "Why is the cat standing on my chest?"

Hope my undisclosed company has an answer for that, too.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

But what's important is that I can continue to be obscene and vulgar. I can even mention said company.

Just let me know what you want said.

Maggie said...

Ooh, excellent point! I'll letcha know.

Happy 4th Weekend!

Unknown said...

Can you get away with things like "sounds like 'Me-a Mo-pee-a' " ?

Maggie said...

I'm guessing no, but good try!

Unknown said...

This comment has been deleted by a company that shall not be named.