Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ten things that inspire me

Yeah, the usual "10 on Tuesday" thing isn't working for me lately. Ergo, I'm changing it up a bit. I've been writing a lot at work about motivation and inspiration, and it occurred to me that I'm good telling others how to get it, but I don't spend a lot of time considering how I get "fed" in this way. So, I've decided to give it some thought. And then, give credit where credit is due.
  1. People who are good at what they do. Whether it's a musician who makes the guitar seemingly sing on its own, or a chef who prepares my tuna melt just so, or an athlete who is "on" his or her game ... I'm generally honored to witness it.
  2. Taking chances. I have friends who are pursuing their personal quests, fulfilling their dreams and following up on commitments, and it makes me so proud to learn of their accomplishments.
  3. Getting back up. Sometimes, ya fall down. Sometimes, it hurts. Every time, the strongest among us get back up.
  4. Breakfast. I'm at my most creative first thing in the morning, so a really good breakfast finds me jazzed and happy. The perfect cuppa joe, something carbolicious, and a yummy protein and all is well with my world.
  5. Babies. I swear to God, I think they are born with all knowledge. The fact that, from babyhood, anything is possible ... it just amazes me. Those cuddly little creeps are awesome. (And I mean "creep" in the nice way.)
  6. Road trips! When the weather turns warmer (and I really think it will), my thoughts turn to loading up the car, cranking up the tunes, rolling down the windows and heading down the road. Even if it's just for a day, the change of scenery refreshes my brain. It's like hitting the re-set button.
  7. Ben Folds. Seriously, have you listened to him play? Oy.
  8. My workout buddies. Many of them are in great shape. Most of them are in far better shape than I. Seeing what's possible, if you continue to take care of yourself, makes me look forward to what the future holds for my health and fitness.
  9. Kindness. Last night at the gym, I was joking with a woman about our workout schedules and whatnot, and about how - after working out steadily for a couple of years - I still can barely keep a straight face when I refer to myself as an athlete. She, in all seriousness, said to me, "You are so much more of an athlete than many of the people here. Athleticism is in the effort as much as it's in the result." In that case, I'm an athlete. And her kindness and generosity of spirit helped me push myself through a very difficult two-hour workout!
  10. Going barefoot. My floors at home are almost always dirty, but that doesn't matter, because it's winter. But soon - soon! - I will need to step up the cleaning, because when it's warm, this girl does not wear shoes, or socks. My loose happy toes make me feel grounded and happy. I'm ready to lose the shoes!

1 comment:

Janie said...

I'm definitely with ya on #10. I hate shoes, socks and slippers. Quite frankly I would just rather have cold feet. Gonna have to get a pedi soon though cause these bare toes are ready to make their spring debut!