Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Musings on a snow day

I swear, I didn't think I'd ever get another snow day. I mean, I'm a grown up, mostly. Do we get snow days?

Evidently, yes. It's a marshmallow world.

I have to say, snow removal in my area has been incredible. Plows come by with startling regularity. If I needed to go somewhere, I could ... if I could get out of my parking lot, which has not yet been plowed. Anyway, it's pretty incredible. I'm planning to go out for a little walk later. You know, when the snow stops falling horizontally.

But here's the thing: much as it's a little creepy to see the universe shut down as it has, it's kinda nice. I will be holed up in my little home, knitting and watching movies (as long as I have power). It's a little forced r&r. I'll take it.

And of course it also gives me time to think and ponder, and thoughts begin to wander into not-so-ancient history. I'm hunkered down, and I'm alone ... but not. Let me 'splain.

No, let me sum up.

See, there was a time when I was firmly entrenched in coupledom. Married with two cats sort of defined my life, and for some reason, it made my world small. Now, in my "alone-ness" ... I am less alone than ever. I know that if I needed something, someone would walk to find me. Someone would get on a train to make sure I'm okay. Because my world is huge now. My life is full of friends and family, relationships I've nurtured which in turn enrich my life immeasurably.

Why? Well, I think it's because these days, I'm not putting all my energy into one relationship. I'm caring for myself, and letting that care trickle into many relationships with countless people who matter.

When you're isolated in a snowstorm, that is a great feeling.

No comments: