Wednesday, February 15, 2012

And ... scene.

So last night I did something different.

It was Valentine's Day, one of those rite-of-passage days for me each year, because six years ago I finally decided to stop sitting around waiting for my then-husband to look up from his instant-message-chat with his girlfriend (yes, you read that right) and notice that I'd come home from work. On Valentine's Day 2006, I loosened my grip on my hope of saving my marriage and started trying to be happy.

Six years later, I barely recognize that girl. So it should come as no surprise that the person I am today does a lot of things differently. For instance, when Maggie 2.0 was asked to participate in a one-night-only production of "Love Letters" with Liberty Town Productions in Libertyville, I jumped at the chance. For one night (and a few rehearsals) I was able to flex my dramatic muscles, and it felt awesome.

It was amazing to get back on stage in this capacity. I've sung a little over the past few years, but I haven't tapped into the actor within in a long time. I think it went well; I know I feel good about it.
Me and my awesome co-star and director, Scott.

I'm humbled and pleased by the audience reaction, and I couldn't be more proud of what we were able to share with our audience. People were moved, I think, by the story we shared. Our characters read the letters they've sent one another over the course of about a 50-year friendship. It's easy to see myself in some of the letters, and I think everyone can relate, in one way or another, to one of the characters. At least that's my hope. At the end of the evening, when Scott and I took our bows, that's how it felt.

Will there be more opportunities to perform? I don't know. It takes something pretty special to get me out there. But when everything comes together, it's like lightening in a bottle.

And I can't think of a better way to spend a day dedicated to love.

No comments: