Wednesday, December 19, 2012

All I want for Christmas ...

The world is a ridiculous place right now. In the wake of national tragedy, people are - as people often do - acting like morons. So what's a girl to do?

Think about cool stuff, that's what. It's time for the inaugural "Things Maggie Wants for Christmas" wish list. This year, on Planet Maggie, I will dream of these things under the tree.

Either one; I'm not particular.
Frankly, I can't believe I've made it this far without getting one for myself. I came close this year, and then I fell off my own fiscal cliff. So, Santa ... please?

A new race? Why, yes, thank you.
The Soldier Field 10 Miler is on my race bucket list, and this year is the year for me. I know what you're thinking. "But, Mags, you're not even a football fan!" And you're right, I'm not. But this race is a unique opportunity to finish 10 miles on the 50 yard line at Soldier Field. I've never been to Soldier Field, and I think this would be a completely groovy way to see it for the first time. Besides, a 10-mile race in May will keep me training strong through the spring. So ... yeah. Registration for this sucker under the tree would be fab, thanks.
These; size 9.
I am in love with Frye boots. I have wanted these since about eighth grade. Santa just doesn't take me seriously.

It's an ugly watch, yeah. But it's also a run computer and heartrate monitor. 
It's a watch. It keeps track of my heartrate. And it knows where I am. This is important to a runner, because it also knows how far I've gone, how fast I'm running, and when I'm sleeping or awake. (Scratch that last part; just making sure you're paying attention.) It's actually a somewhat important piece of information for a runner, and much as I'd love one, I haven't gotten around to getting one for myself yet.

For leftovers. Glass, because plastic is evil.
I can't tell you how often I reach for something to put leftovers in, and it's plastic. Which is okay, unless the leftovers are warm. Or if, God forbid, I want to heat up the leftovers in the container. Enter, glass containers.

That's it; the all-encompassing wish list for 2012. Five things I will buy myself just as soon as I win the lottery. As for world peace - which I desperately want, and I think it's on everyone's list - I will just have to work on it in my own little way. I'll smile at people who cut me off in traffic and I'll try to remember that everyone has a story, and the only one I really know is my own.

A week from today, the present-opening will be over and we'll be back to our "normal" lives. And yes, there will be more sadness, fear will grip us once again and we will wonder how to go on. But we don't need to know how; we just need to do it.

Ever forward! Happiest of holidays to you all.

No comments: