Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Resolute

Okay. I made some.

Resolutions, that is.

This year, I took a different approach. I'm not focused on health or weightloss; instead, I'm working on being a better person, all around. In the not-too-distant past, I was given some unsolicited advice that made me doubt myself. The incident gave me that horrid feeling in the pit of my stomach that said, "hey, you're not smart enough to make decisions for yourself."

But it did give me the opportunity to reflect and realize that I do that. I give advice, and/or opinions/ all the time. Without being asked. Unsolicited, and perhaps unwelcome. So in 2013, I'm going to try not to do it.

It'll be a challenge, to be sure. I may spend a bit of time being silent when otherwise I'd be running my mouth! (And let it be noted that this does not pertain to my Facebook page; I often give snippets of advice there, and that won't change.) I think it will be a worthwhile exercise, and in the end I expect to discover that I've listened more, allowed things to be less about me (imagine that!) and strengthened friendships in the process. We'll see how it goes.

I'm also going to drink more tea. That one'll be easy.

No comments: