Friday, February 1, 2013

They don't make 'em like they used to

I hear there's a football game happening this weekend.

At the risk of sounding like an elderly woman (oh, shut up), times sure have changed. Back in '85, I knew who all these guys were. That may not sound like a big deal, but here's the gig: I never watched a game. The team was full of characters, guys who just generally wanted to have a good time, and weren't afraid to look like total dweebs to raise a little money for charity. For real - 98 percent of these guys are completely unnatural on camera, and they don't care; they're having fun.

Can you imagine a team doing this today? I sure can't. Maybe that's because I don't know any of the players on any team. (really; up until last year I thought the Bears quarterback was Jake Utler) but isn't that part of the problem? When players are known to non-fans these days, it's more often because they've done something criminal or otherwise stupid. So go ahead. Eat some wings, watch Beyonce entertain her damn self over halftime, and catch some sweet sweet commercials. I'll be longing for the days of Sweetness and Speedy Willie; not sure if you know this, but he's world class.

No comments: