Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Downward dog

I went back to yoga last night. It was the third hour of my Monday night workout. Amazing.

When I left the office, I didn't think I was up to a rigorous workout ... or any workout, for that matter. I just didn't feel like making any effort. Then I realized Alisa wasn't teaching Strike (the cool kickboxing class with weighted bars that makes me feel all ninja) so I went to hip-hop instead. In case you didn't know, I am a part of the rhythm nation. It was a tough dance that made me really really think, but I felt great dancing.

Followed that up with an hour of salsa/funk, which is always awesome. Donna is just amazing; her spirit fills the room. It just always feels amazing spend that hour moving and celebrating our ability to move.

And then there was yoga. It's been a really long time! In fact, I think the last time I practiced was when Racheal and I went to class on July 4, 2008, and then followed it up with a DVD up at the lake house last summer. I'm way out of practice, but I've gotta start somewhere ... and this was the class to do it. I attended with my dear friend Linda and her sister Lorna, and the three of us had a wonderful time. I left feeling relaxed and a little emotional, and really good that I'd done it. All weird cramps and lack of flexibility aside, it will be the perfect addition to my workout routine, and one I've been trying to do since January. Sometimes, it just takes me awhile.

Like our instructor said last night, it's not about being perfect. It's about being better. So every day, I'll try to do a little bit better. Not much more we can ask, now, is there?

No comments: