Thursday, October 29, 2009

Update - 10 on Thursday

Yes, Michael, I got your comment. And shame on me for not updating the blog. If I keep this up, you'll have to call me Becky.

Life's been pretty crazy in Maggie's World lately. Here's a little update of what's shakin' in my little corner of the universe:
  1. I wear glasses. Not just glasses, mind you; bifocals. It's a huge adjustment, and really not one I'm making with a whole lot of grace, but I think eventually it will be a good thing.
  2. I have a roommate, at least for another week. In mid-September, the ex-girlfriend of an old friend from college moved in with me. Emily was working at U of I, and got a job at Northwestern. Rather than hurry up and find a place to live, she's been crashing on my sofabed since then. She moves in to her place on November 6, and my home will be mine again. This is the only time I've ever shared my home with anyone except my family or my ex. It's been nice. Not something I'd want a steady diet of, but quite comforting to come home and have company.
  3. I need to make chili, but I don't know when I'll have the time.
  4. My sister Jenn finished her last round of chemo, and we're hoping leukemia has had the good sense to move on. Jenn's sense of humor and stubbornness have served her well as she's gone through therapy; I'm so proud of her. She has a bone marrow biopsy in November, so please pray for the "all-clear."
  5. I spent last Sunday at Dad's house. Kathie and I frosted cut-out cookies in the shapes of leaves, and dusted them with fall-colored sugar. It reminded me of long-ago times when we'd help Mom put the finishing touches on cookies. There's something about being home that takes me back, and I kinda like it.
  6. I sold the Jeep. My friend Amber's boyfriend bought it (and I hope he can keep it running!) so I'm now officially automobile-less. But not really; my sister Kathie generously offered to let me driver her car until sometime in January when I'm ready to buy. I love driving Kathie's car! I don't know if I can go back to something less luxurious, but I'd really like my next car to be my Wrangler. Time will tell.
  7. I have decided on a Halloween costume. Twice. I think I've finally settled on it, and I hope it works. I have two parties on Halloween, one for a child and one for not a child ... it's hard to dress appropriately for both!
  8. A few days ago, I went to dinner with a bunch of old friends. For sushi. Never was there a better evening; I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the stuff ... and the entire experience. The warm sake, the atmosphere, the sharing from plate to plate. The only thing more delicious than the meal was the company. Old friends really are the best.
  9. It's almost time for Christmas music! Just sayin'.
  10. There are Godiva truffles in a box on my desk. I eat one each day. Jut one. It took me 43 years to get this willpower, and I'm a little proud.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your description of Emily reads like a scene from Spaceballs.

Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Star.
Lone Starr: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Lone Starr: What's that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing!