Monday, August 6, 2012

Going home

I've been a bit lax with the updates of late, and you're just gonna have to forgive me. My life is a busy place right now, and well ... something's gotta give.

At any rate, a few weeks back I took a road trip to a place that's home, even though technically it's not my home. I went to Jacksonville, IL to the home of my best friend/brother Mike, for my faux-bro Chunk's wedding.

Oddly, I spent three days with these people and took nary a photo of the happy couple. I do, however, have a lot of photos of other people. People like ...

Racheal and Mike ... the best friends a girl could ask for. 

Izzy, Alice and Kaylee ... flower girls extraordinaire.

Mike and me .. our horns are showing.

It was a fantastic weekend. Sometimes it's good to go home and be with people who love you beyond reason or rational thought. It's impossible to return home after spending time with the people I choose as family and not feel fortunate, for so many reasons. For my entire life, I have (with rare exception) surrounded myself with people who have had my back, who swoop in to rescue me when I'm in need of rescuin' and who bring out the very best in me. There's usually laughter, and a few tears when it's time to part ways I'm lucky, and I know it. But the truth of the matter is, anyone can cultivate relationships like these. You just have start with great people, add a little love and understanding, stir and let it happen.

No comments: