Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

  1. It's almost Christmas. This year has been very different. No baking, no shopping, and very little knitting. I haven't felt up to much, but it has been very enjoyable. Things do seem to work out the way they're supposed to.
  2. I'm beyond ready to start not feeling like crap. Unfortunately, my body disagrees. I went to the gym last night for an hour of cardio and wound up feeling like crap on a cracker. Taking it very slowly from here on in.
  3. Over the weekend, I made chicken enchiladas in pumpkin sauce. Probably the best thing to come out of my kitchen, ever. I'm quite proud. And hungry.
  4. Spending Christmas this year at my friend Linda's, because my family isn't getting together until Sunday and I'm just not up to much travel. I'm honestly looking forward to life slowing down a bit and just taking it easy. Although I do have to bake some cookies.
  5. One of my co-workers brought me homemade raspberry jam that his wife made from berries she picked herself. I can hardly wait to go home and eat some! And may I say, with rare exception, I am incredibly lucky to work with such an amazing group of talented people. And no, they do not have access to the blog, so I'm not sucking up.
  6. 2009 was not a good year to be a celebrity. Man, they were droppin' like flies! Further proof that you just don't know what the future holds, and life is too damn short to live with fear, resentment or worry. Just live.
  7. Snow. We have it. I'm determined to go sledding this year.
  8. I believe in Santa Claus.
  9. The office is closed on Christmas Eve. I like this, because Christmas Eve is my favorite day of the entire year. Ever since I was a kid, I've found Christmas Eve to be more magical than any other day. I'll be having breakfast with my friend Di, a tradition we started back in 1997. We agreed back then that each year, Christmas Eve would bring us together for a meal. It's one of those days that usually isn't full of plans. Even when she lived in Boston, we still got together for Christmas Eve. It's one of those things I can count on, no matter what.
  10. I feel like I'm circling back to the beginning of this list, but really ... this year is different. Some of the change is good, and some difficult. Perhaps I'll always miss going to church with my family at 11 p.m. Christmas Eve, and getting out at midnight, knowing Christmas was here. Perhaps I'll always miss my mom, frosting the coffee cake at well past the last minute for Christmas breakfast. And perhaps I'll always miss the little things - our green felt stockings, decorating the big tree in the front yard, and buying presents for the dog. This year is different. This year is taking a little effort to enjoy. But this is Christmas, and I'm determined to celebrate ... differently, but with all I've got.

No comments: