Wednesday, July 7, 2010

10 on Wednesday, July 7

10 Things I Loved About My July 4th Weekend
  1. House salad with fig balsamic vinaigrette at Ryan Braun's Tavern and Grill. And the chicken Marsala. And the gelatto trio. Delicious!
  2. Friday night karaoke with Dale. It was a hoot to walk in the door and see Candy's face, because she didn't know I would be there. Of course, she had me sing her song, which went over brilliantly. We sang, we danced, we had a few drinks and a lot of water (man, the humidity!) and we really enjoyed listening to each other sing. It was a new twist on old times.
  3. My haircut. It's not short by any means, but it is a lot shorter. I love it. It's bouncy and sassy (right, Rae?) and it doesn't end up in a complete mess after driving around with the top down.
  4. Laying at the pool all day long. Bliss with SPF 30, a good book and even better company. Amber and I lounged throughout the day and chatted with her neighbors. Most of the people in her complex are a little older, and they are just charming, wonderful people. We talked about everything from the goose problem in Delavan to Lady Gaga. What a hoot!
  5. Doing nothing for an entire evening. We thought about heading out to hear a band, or see a movie, but in the end I fell asleep on the chaise lounge in the living room and finally crawled to bed around 10:30. Yep, that's me - still a party animal!
  6. Coffee and a walk. On Sunday, July 4, we slept in and then got dressed to wander around town. We stopped at Caribou for a delicious, frosty coffee treat and then wandered to the lakefront. So beautiful. It was a windy day and the air smelled amazing. There were so many people along the lake enjoying this amazing day. We found a little spot in the shad to sit and people watch for awhile ... bliss.
  7. Big salads for lunch. Romaine, chicken breast, cranberries, nuts, feta and Green Goddess dressing. Does it get any better than that? Nope. Not as far as I'm concerned.
  8. Wandering through gardens. We visited the North Wind Perennial Farm, which is part nursery and part gorgeous gardens. So many little nooks and crannies, and a big barn full of stuff my mother would have loved. I'm still thinking about the wind chime made of spoons. We also stopped at a mushroom farm, where they had the most beautiful produce ever. Makes me hungry just thinking about it! And that mango/Key lime salsa ... I would like some now, please.
  9. Fireworks and water. Amber's friend David (who is also Patrick's friend, of course, and is now my friend, too) invited us out on his boat to watch the fireworks. He's on Lake Como, and from the middle of the lake, we could see fireworks from Fontana, Lake Como and the Grand Geneva. Incredible! Even though it was a little misty out on the water, it was a wonderful experience. I felt like I was among old friends, and sharing fireworks like that ... well, to me, it matters. Fireworks are meant to be shared with people you love.
  10. Coming home. I elected to drive home after the fireworks rather than stay until Monday. While I missed breakfast with Laura, I was happy to be home. Honestly, I think that's the best part of most trips - coming home and realizing that this is where I belong.

No comments: