Saturday, June 14, 2008

A woman of ever-changing maintenance needs

Harry Burns: There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.
Sally Albright: Which one am I?
Harry Burns: You're the worst kind. You're high maintenance but you think you're low maintenance.

The scene is a classic, from a movie that's a classic. But I find myself in the unfortunate position of disagreeing with Harry, because I don't think I fall into either category. I am a blissful combination plate.

Like this morning, in a fit of total spontaneity, I went to the gym and then went home to cook breakfast for a hot guy. (Yes, it was Brian. We spooned in the kitchen; true story.) A super-quick shower was all that was required to make me Saturday-cute. It's a low-maintenance kinda day. Rolling with the punches, not needing much, just content to lay on a blanket in the park and enjoy the blue sky, coffee, and the company of a good friend (who also just happens to have killer arms.)

But sometimes ... sometimes, I can be that needy girl who just can't pull herself together without a little help from her friends. And, thankfully, they come through. Not always instantly - after all, I have to acknowledge that it really isn't all about me - but eventually, they come through. And sometimes I'm that girl who takes two hours to get ready. Sometimes I like to look like an actual girl, and that can take a bit of effort.

Hopefully, the people who matter (and if you're reading this, you're one of them!) think it's a worthwhile endeavor to figure out which Maggie they're getting on any given day. So far, you've never let me down.

Edited to say: No, Brian did not wake up there. And the spoons were standing. Sheesh, why must everything be kinky with you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why isn't everything kinky with you? Sheesh.

And, um, spoons in the kitchen? I mean even standing spoons, in the kitchen...

Kinky no matter how you edit it.

Sheesh, gives me something to live vicariously for. ;)