Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ten on Tuesday

  1. Welcome to Illinois, where we can't seem to choose a Governor. Corruption makes me sad. What is it about power that brings out the best in some and the worst in others?
  2. I had a most wonderful weekend, filled with friends and love. My tree is up, I shared boozy cocoa with good friends, took time to sit by the fire, dealt with the snow, baked and fed my knitting bug. As Cute Brian, Diane and I got the tree all decorated - thanks to Brian's willing trips to the store to replace lights - I had some mixed emotions. There are so many memories on my tree, from the angel at the top to the skirt below. In a way, it represents who I am. In another way, it represents the ingenuity it takes to determine that a Christmas tree skirt that was put away while covered in cat hair comes clean quite easily when you toss it in the dryer with a damp towel and a sheet of Bounce.
  3. I haven't gotten any new ornaments in a long time. I think I'm at a point now where I can pick up a few. Over the last couple of years, I haven't been Happy Maggie, and any ornaments I bought would be associated with sad memories. This year, I will be remembering good times. I think I need an ornament to commemorate that. I probably should have picked one up at Dutch Village!
  4. As the weather gets colder, my motivation to get to the gym is waning. But not because I'm comfortable to hide under layers of sweaters and stuff until summer ... no, it's mostly because I don't want to drive any more than absolutely necessary. I went last night, even though freezing rain was in the forecast. I just keep remembering ... even sweaters look better on a thinner, healthier frame.
  5. I love to bake. However, I shouldn't eat everything I bake. So I've discovered a secret: Invite people over when I bake. I sent home cookies with Diane (whose husband ate them) and Cute Brian (who probably ate his portion before he made it home) and kept just a few for myself. Feeds the need to bake without adding more dimples to my booty!
  6. I'm making a list ... a grocery list, that is. I am notorious for not knowing what I'm buying until I'm at the store, which means I often end up with frozen pizza, hot cocoa mix and brown sugar, and not much else. So I'm going to see if this whole listy thing will help me stay within my budget and also keep me fed. It's so crazy it just might work!
  7. I now have three knitting projects going at once. And that's not counting the one I had barely started last time I was at Becky's and left there on accident. I have to work out a schedule so that I know what I have to finish first, based on when I'm celebrating with whom. Some people will just be receiving a yarn sample, because their gift will just not be done in time. Good thing I have understanding friends!
  8. Last week was a great week at work. I've been here almost two years now, and it has been an incredible learning experience. Over the last week or so, I've written pieces that I'm particularly proud of, and they have been very well received. I feel fortunate that almost every day I go to work with talented, kind people who love what they do and appreciate each other.
  9. I talked to my dad on the phone this morning. As we were hanging up, he said to me, "You be good." To my dad, I'm still seven years old. I wouldn't have it any other way.
  10. Benld sleeps under the Christmas tree. I will take a picture next time ... it's the sweetest thing. It also explains how the skirt gets covered in cat hair.

2 comments:

Janie said...

RE #6: Menus, Maggie, are the key to grocery, food and budgeting success. I sit down once a week and decide what we are eating for the next week or so. What I need to make those things goes on the grocery list. That then is what I buy.

We don't always follow the menus precisely, life gets in the way sometimes, but it sure helps me keep my grocery budget under control and helps keep us from eating things that are horrendously bad for us, ie: frozen pizza.

Hope this helps.

We love you!

Anonymous said...

Janie, you wise, wonderful woman! I know you're right ... when I've done it, I've done it well. It's just a hard habit for me to stick to! I'm gonna give it the old college try, though. That way I won't be left with nothing but ramen and cat food at the end of two weeks!