Wednesday, December 17, 2008

10 ... I mean 11 ... on Wednesday

  1. Update at 12:12 p.m: Mike is out of surgery. Doctor says the trouble was indeed the gall bladder. It's out now. And there was much rejoicing.
  2. Oh shut up, it's been one of those weeks. So I'm a day late. Life goes on.
  3. I live nine miles from the office. It took me a little more than three hours to get home last night due to the most evil snowstorm ever. Yeah, you're doing the math, aren't you? An average of three miles an hour. After awhile, I had to roll down the windows to avoid claustrophobia. I didn't make it to the gym (duh) but got home at about the time I would have if I'd gone to the gym on a normal (read: not snowy) day. Precious, ain't it?
  4. One of my friends thinks those of us who live in Northern Illinois shouldn't complain about the snow or the cold. Is it wrong to step on his neck?
  5. My brother is in surgery right now; they are removing his gall bladder. I was talking to my sister Jenn earlier this week and we concluded that, while they're in there, they ought to take out any other non-essential organs that might cause problems down the line. Hello, appendix? But alas, the surgeons did not agree. I'm a little worried about him going through all of this. It scares me to think of him, so childlike and trusting, enduring so much pain. Say a prayer, if you would. I'm saying mine.
  6. Thinking about all that Mike is going through has made me realize how much he inspires me. Isn't it crazy how a man who is so much like a child - who has never written a word or spoken an entire "normal" conversation, taken a step or taken a photograph - can be an inspiration? This week, I have heard what it sounds like when my brother is hurting. In 42 years, I have never heard him complain. Well, not really. There have been occasional bouts of frustration, but they pass, usually as quickly as the Cubs pennant hopes. My brother is the most joyful person I know. And isn't that a lesson we should all take to heart?
  7. My apartment looks like a cyclone hit it. I have just been too busy to keep up with it. I trust that anyone who visits is there to see me, not to admire my talents as housekeeper.
  8. On Monday, John and I went to Hip-Hop and Salsa/Funk class. For a few weeks, we'd taken the lazy way out and only did one class, but on Monday, we were back. We were talking to some friends about why we hadn't been in Salsa for awhile, and we determined we'd both just been lazy. At which point we looked at each other and I said "But ya know what?" and together we said, "We're not lazy any more." Wow. Quite a statement. And man, did it feel good to get out and dance for two hours! Look at what the human body will do if you'll just take it out every now and then!
  9. Last Sunday, I went to a movie with Cute Brian. We saw "Eagle Eye" at the cheap theater in the next town. Really, for $2, I'll see movies I don't really want to see. Anyway, the movie was good (I love that damn Shia LaBeouf, no matter what Rice says) and the company was even better. Brian and I can turn a two-hour movie into an entire afternoon with very little trouble. From the theater we went to Trader Joe's, where we walked around and tasted food and bought cookies (the peppermint Joe-Joes are to die for!) and wine and talked to the coffee girl. This elf of a person was an absolute delight! She hugged me and told me she loved my personality, and that she hoped I'd come in again soon. It was just what I needed to hear. Isn't it funny how sometimes you get just what you need in the most unlikely manner?
  10. I filled out my self-evaluation last week, because my two-year anniversary (and my performance appraisal) are coming up in January. I hate filling out these things! I'm afraid I will either come off like an egotistical diva or a mutant mouse. I hope I found some middle ground.
  11. One week from today is Christmas Eve, my favorite day of the entire year. I'm planning to have lunch with Diane (if she doesn't louse up our plans by giving birth,) dinner with Patrick and his family (they're Italian; bring on the Feast of Seven Fishes!) and then church with my family. Ever since I was a young girl, I have thought there was magic to Christmas Eve. It was the one night of the year when I felt beautiful. Maybe it was the music, maybe it was the candlelight, or maybe it was just joy shining through. No matter what, it's still my favorite day, filled with traditions and surprises and love.

No comments: