Thursday, January 24, 2008

Have you hugged your elk today?

It really is the little things that make the biggest impact in life. My life, anyway. I was thinking about that on my way to work today, because it was pretty. Cold, but pretty. Single-digit temperatures are here once again, but the world has a fresh coat of snow and that just tickles me.

My drive to work is really beautiful - I pass some truly gorgeous scenery, most notably Busse Woods. With the snow on the ground and the blue sky and the trees, the drive past Busse Woods is breathtaking.

Busse Woods runs between Elk Grove Village and Schaumburg (home of Cute Brian.) Who knew there were actual ELK in Elk Grove Village? Not me! So imagine my delight when I realized I was driving past these magestic critters every day! They hang out at the Busse Woods in the Elk Pasture, and I wave to them every day.

There's just something about seeing a bunch of elk (hey, what do you call a group of elk? A gaggle? A gang? A warren? A herd?) getting together for breakfast in the chill of winter. Just beautiful ... and another thing to love about winter. This season is growing on me, I tell ya! Even the chill in the air can't take away my appreciation of the beauty.

The only thing that could possibly make it better is if I could actually hug the elk. But alas ... fence.

No comments: