Friday, February 27, 2009

The unparalelled delight of artisanal cheese

If you’re reading this, you probably know me well enough to know that I like food. I really like food. I go on vacation and the first thing I decide is where I’ll go. The second thing is where I’ll eat. I just really like food, everything about it. I love shopping for it, preparing it, serving it beautifully, enjoying it – preferably with someone I love – and yes, oddly enough, I even enjoy cleaning up afterward. The delicious memories of flavor and conversation can transport me back and allow me to savor the indulgence all over again.

Behold the power of cheese.

Cheese, after all, is a food. And in my book, it ranks right up there as something to be enjoyed, as often as possible, within reason. Good cheese, mind you. Not that “processed cheese food,” which is something you feed the cheese. Not “cheese product,” which is something produced by the cheese. No, gentle reader, invest in real, authentic, melt-in-your-mouth flavorful rich cheese and be transformed.

It’s not gonna cure cancer (but I have a theory that blue paint or new tattoo will). It’s not going to get us out of Iraq, and it sure isn’t going to make up for antidepressants or your ADD meds, but really good cheese can give you moments of perfect enjoyment.

Yesterday, I had some amazing Stilton with herbs and mushrooms in the mix. Subtle and luscious, I can hardly wait to get home and have more. Then there was this moldy green veiny stuff that tasted so pure and perfect, I thought I’d died and gone to Cheese Heaven. And finally, a cheddar/blue blend that just about shocked me. I went back for seconds.

I know what they say … cheese is full of fat, it’s bad for you. But I say, pishaw! Choose a cheese that you love, one with strong flavors, and just have a little less of it. Quality over quantity in all things, right? A little something tasty, accompanied by crusty bread and conversation.

2 comments:

Dr. Cindy S. C. Rice said...

Does this mean we get to shop for cheese this weekend? And yarn? And pipe tobacco?

Anonymous said...

Yes! That is exactly what it means!

Love you! Miss you! Can't wait to see you!