Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Birthdays and Celebrations

July is a big birthday month. I have to assume that back before any of us were so much as a glimmer in our parents' eyes, there was a lot of sex in October.

Friday the 13th was Kelly's birthday. On the 13th of every month I wish Brian a happy birthday, because that was I'm sure to get the right month. (It's May, but we never celebrate on the actual day.) My sister Pat's was yesterday, the 16th, and today is my mother-in-law's and my friend Chris'. In a few weeks, it's my sister Jenn's turn.

Seriously NUTTY, and so far I've remembered all of them.

With each birthday that passes, I get closer to my own, and I can't shake the feeling of dread that comes with it. Not that turning a year older creeps me out - I've had all year to get used to the idea. But every birthday serves as a reminder that I sometimes have the judgement of a third grader.

Let this be a lesson to you, gentle reader: never get married on your birthday. And equally good advice is get a damn prenup, no matter how much you love each other. In every human being there are snakelike tendancies that come out when they are at their worst. Trust me...follow those two tiny bits of advice, and you'll be happier in the long run. Or at least you'll be able to really enjoy your birthday.

So this year, I think I'll celebrate other stuff, instead. Like Dweezil Zappa's birthday. My cousin Julie's wedding. Talk Like a Pirate Day (really, there is such a thing, and it's in September.) ADHD Month. Ramadan. Wife Appreciation Day (yeah, THAT'll happen.) But I'm gonna celebrate something, because life is too damn short to miss an opportunity to whoop it up a little and have some fun.

No matter who you married.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Duh, it's Cinco de Margot.

Celebrate that.

And tell him to bite me.