Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What the?

I'm pretty sure that's what my body is saying every time I walk into the gym.

My heart and lungs are wondering why, all of a sudden, I'm taking them out for a night on the town. My muscles are trying to figure out how to handle this new-fangled thing called "working." And let me tell you, my sweat glands have gone into overdrive.

So a funny thing happened last night at the gym. There are mirrors everywhere, so we can make sure our form is correct and (if you're me) check out the cute guy on the treadmill in front of you. I met with Kate, who went through a routine with me on the weights that should work every major muscle group (and have me running up the stairs in no time.) I was looking at myself in the mirror and thinking to myself, "yikes, where did all those lumps come from?" But I focused on my form - stand straight, stomache in, lift from the deltoid - and I forgot to feel bad about how I looked.

Then, after my workout, I walked into the locker room to take a shower. Wrapped in a towel, I caught my eye again in the mirror, only this time, I didn't recognize myself at first. My first thought was, she's sexy.

And "she" was me.

I'm not sure if it was the hour of sweating, or the pink glow in my skin, or that I just felt good for finishing my workout, but there it is: she's sexy.

I'll be going back to the gym tonight, to see if she's there again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's perfectly acceptable for me to be anonymous on your blog.

Your spleen is probably wondering what all the commotion is and I am sure that your appendix is aching. (Unless you had that removed, then ixnay on the pendixay)

Your funny bone is probably getting quite a kick out of all the shenanigans.

And that pancreas is wondering where the heck all the insulin is going.

So, is that your real hair?

Anonymous said...

Okay, you are now officially cracking me up!

No, it's not my real hair. It's a wig. ;)

Anonymous said...

well at least your hair won't complain about all the workouts and showers...

Anonymous said...

But seriously, my head sweats when I'm at the gym! It's totally nutty. I didn't know one person could sweat so much. It's sorta icky and yet cool at the same time.

Anonymous said...

your everything sweats at the gym, that is why they have showers with those really cool mirrors that make you look like what you have been doing is working....

Anonymous said...

They have mirrors in the showers??? I am so not going to that gym.

Anonymous said...

Um, anon 1, I don't know what gym you go to, but there are no mirrors in the shower at my gym! Sorry to disappoint! But they do have yummy body wash from Aveda...delightful!

Anonymous said...

ok so, "showers" included the locker room that which you change in before you get into the shower....
GEEZZZZ,