Thursday, July 31, 2008

Am I missing something?

Why is it that when well-meaning people learn that the divorce is bumping along (and for those of you playing the at-home version of our game, yes, the divorce is, indeed, bumping along) they assume the very next thing you want to do is

Date. Everyone. Available.

Now, don't get me wrong ... I have nothing against dating. But sheesh ... I only just got used to the fact that I'm going to be single again. Why the hell would I want to muddy the works with Some Guy?

So before you ask, no, I am not on match.com. I will not be joining eHarmony, or any of the many other coupling/networking sites available out there. Nothing wrong with 'em, they are just not my style. I am not gong to size up everyone at the gym and formulate a list of men in whom I am interested. Thank you, no, my reason for being at the gym is to be fit and healthy, nothing more, nothing less. When I talk to the hunky guy at work, I am not flirting, I am really just talking. And dammit, just because a guy in a bar says I have a nice nose (ain't that the best pickup line you've heard?) it does not mean that I have to swoon and follow him home.

No, folks, I have nothing against men. I love men. Some of my favorite people are men. Many of them read this blog! I guess I just look at it this way: If I should choose to one day re-enter the dating pool, it will be on my terms. It will be because I met someone who fits into my life, not because I went looking for him, but because our lives intersected and we liked it that way.

Because being Just Maggie again is good. It's been a long time, and I'm enjoying the whole process of figuring out who I am, and what I want, for me. From my perspective, Just Maggie is just fine.

No comments: