Sunday, March 23, 2008

Another Easter weekend, gone

This one came and went in a flurry. But ya gotta love an Easter Bunny that brings you shoes! (Okay, they're from Terra, but the bunny makes a way better story.)

Spent yesterday at the gym with Terra, during which I had an MMM (see previous post if confused.) There's something about being with her that just makes me feel good. Being in her presence makes me feel beautiful, appreciated, loved just as I am. I love that I have friends who give that to me. I hope they know I feel the same. (If you're reading this, that's a hint.) While we were stretching, she says to me, "Ya know? A lot of women your age don't have their butt up there where it belongs. You don't have that problem."

I tell ya, I love this girl. And for the record, there is nothing wrong with her eyes.

Today I was going to go to the gym again, but I gave myself a day off. I slept in, baked a banana pound cake to take to Dad's, and off I went.

I spent the entire day playing with my 14-year-old nephew, Alex. He brought Rock Band so we could play together. I think it amazes him that I know all the words to "Ballroom Blitz" and "Don't Fear the Reaper" without looking. We pretty much rocked the afternoon away, with a short reprieve to go out back and shoot hoops, which he still can't beat me at, yet. If he calmed down and started concentrating on shooting the basket instead of beating me, he would've started wiping the court with me a year ago. But I think I'll let him figure that out for himself.

Had a great afternoon with my family. They are nuts, but they are also a lot of fun. They are my people. Well, some of them, anyway. Sometimes it's nice, if a bit surreal, to spend time with them and walk away realizing you really had a great time, and it wasn't hard at all. Maybe I'm not too old to grow up.

So it's Easter. Forgive me if I turn on my blinker and change lanes, but I have an Easter memory I'd like to share.

It was eight or nine years ago, I guess, and we were all at church. My whole family, and I'm sure Christopher was there (one of the two times he came along with a minimum of complaining.) I was up front with my sisters and Dad and I saw Mom walk in. My sister Jenn said something to her, and next thing I knew, Mom was gone. Five, ten, fifteen minutes past, and then she finally returned. My dad was livid - he thought Jenn said something that upset Mom and she needed to get away.

Not the case. What Mom needed was a skirt.

Jenn was the only one who noticed that Mom had come to church wearing her black blouse, yellow linen blazer, black heels and stockings, and a lovely black slip. Thankfully, the house was close enough that she could run home and change and still make it back in time for the opening chorus of "Christ the Lord is Risen Today."

That story has been told and re-told so many times, and it never fails to make me laugh. I hope that, somewhere, Mom and I shared that laugh today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you and her did more together today than you know.

You baked a banana pound cake that morning with her daughter.

You spent time playing with her grandchild.

You sang.
You laughed.
You were silly.
You enjoyed your day, family, life for that moment.

And, you remembered a slice of life that included her and shared it with your blog family.

I think she laughed with you all day.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder if she thinks to herself "How the heck did they turn out so weird?" when she takes a look at her kids.

Then she looks at herself and says, "Oh. Right." and goes right back to the harp.