Anyway, thinking along those terms, I started to reflect on the things in my life that have truly never let me down. Sure, they don't bring me as much joy as people do, but sometimes it's nice to have something to hang your hat on, something to remember when the chips are down.
And so, I give you, The List of Things That Never Let Me Down as of this moment.
- Murphy's Oil Soap. This all around cleaner makes my floors beautiful and smells clean. I love it.
- Coppertone Suntan Lotion. The smell reminds me of childhood vacations, and the sun protection means I can frolic outdoors as long as I want.
- My Thumb Ring. I bought it for myself when my marriage was beginning to crumble, and it is a positive statement I wear on my left hand, in a way replacing my wedding ring. It says "May Your Wildest Dreams Come True," and every time I look at it I am reminded that I believe it's possible.
- The Mac Titanium PowerBook. I love my computer. The only time it crapped out on me, I had accidentally unplugged it and it ran out of juice. I have taken good care of it, and it's taken good care of me.
- Yoplait Yogurt. It tastes sinful, but it's really quite good for you. It's the best dessert I can give myself.
- LifeTime Fitness Center in Schaumburg. My gym makes me feel like a rockstar. It's beautiful, never boring, and is giving me a new and improved body. Today I spent 40 minutes on the elliptical, 30 on the stationary bike, and an undetermined amount of time in the pool, hot tub, shower and sauna. It's like going to a resort every time I go, and I deserve it.
- Cacique Balconette Bras. These gravity-defying wonders of the underwear world take years off my appearance. And they're pretty. Never underestimate the power of a good bra that fits well.
- Aveda Hand Relief Lotion. Soaks up fast, never feels greasy, and smells like a dream. I'll take two, please.
- Sea Salt. If I'm gonna salt my food, it's gonna be with the good stuff. I swear, I can tell the difference.
- Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. This is the band that basically serves as the soundtrack of my life. As much as I adore Jimmy Buffett and require showtunes, whenever I need to set a mood, no matter what that mood is, I turn to Roger. It doesn't hurt that he's smokin' hot, either.
- My Brown Riding Boots. No matter what I wear them with, I feel sexy. Even though they aren't high heels, these are killer boots. They make my legs look long and strong, and look equally fierce with jeans as they do a short denim skirt. Not too short, though. I acknowledge that I'm no longer 25.
- Sports Night on DVD. Whenever I'm bored, I can pop this critically acclaimed series into the DVD player and live vicariously through the exploits of the amazing cast of this amazing, yet under-watched, show. It always makes me remember that women do have special powers, no matter what Jeremy says.