Friday, February 15, 2008

A different kind of valentine

You can plan all you want, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Take, for example, my plans to spend Valentine's Day dinner with Patrick. Well, when the choices are A) Have dinner with a guy who's coming down with something when I'm just now getting over something or B) Don't, I took the high road.

Which left me on my own for the evening.

Sheer bliss, with the exception of the clogged bathtub.

I thought I'd like to have a nice dinner on my own, maybe watch a movie, and have a nice bubble bath. So I had to stop at the store to buy food for said nice dinner, and some Drano for the clogged bathtub.

The dinner was delish. The Drano didn't work. Which explains why I was wandering around Meijer at 9 p.m. in search of an auger to clear the pipes. Picture this: Girl, desperate for her candlelit bathtime, in shorts and a tank top and rubber gloves, trying to work the damn snakey thing into the drain. There's something in there that I just can't get past. Dammit all, anyhow.

Heavy sigh.

Now there's water and guck in my tub, so I had to let it ssssslllllloooooowwwwwllllly drain before I could clean it.

Thankfully, once it was clean, I decided it could just slowly drain agan after my bath. So there I was, at 10 p.m., submerged in the bubbles, surrounded by candles, drinking champagne and listening to Caribbean drums on cd.

It wasn't what I'd planned, but it was Valentine's Day with someone I love.

No comments: