Saturday, February 16, 2008

Vacation, six weeks later, part three

On day four, we split up. Dad and the Princess went on a tour - I think it was the This Costs More Than Your Monthly Rent tour, so Alex and I decided to do other stuff. We went to Downtown Disney.

We had breakfast here. Which doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize this is a chocolate and ice cream shop. Yes, I had a hot fudge sundae for breakfast.

This shop made me think of friends back home. Dale and his bike, Larry who wanted me to pick up a t-shirt but never actually told me what he wanted, and Bruce who is the cutest combination of Jewish leprechaun biker dude.

Okay, so a day at Downtown Disney doesn't make for too may great photo-ops. Suffice it to say that our day included buying Alex a sweatshirt (with money I didn't have, but he "needed" it so how can the auntie say no?) and a trip to the movie theater to see (do not laugh at me) "Alvin and the Chipmunks."

Back off. It was cute.

Day five, we all went together to Epcot. Again, we split up a bit - Alex and I going on every ride, even the ones that demanded a dose of Dramamine, and Dad and the Princess eating their way around the world.

If you've never enjoyed a bit of Beverly, you're not missing anything. It's a Coca-cola product marketed in Italy as an aperitif. It tastes - and yes, I'm being serious here - like a mixture of Alka-Seltzer and Tide. And yet, every time I'm in Epcot, I have to have a taste. This may be a sign of mental illness.

Great ride - it simulates hang gliding, and it completely overwhelms you. Disney does it perfectly here, complete with the smell of fresh oranges as you "fly" over the orange groves of California. I love this ride.

They have completely overhauled what used to be "The Living Seas" pavilion in Future World. It now has a Nemo theme, but still has the most incredible exhibits, including the manatees and dolphins. I may never understand why they have a seafood restaurant here, though. See that aquarium? Yeah, we caught your dinner there.

Just one shot of World Showcase. I have always loved the pyramid in Mexico, and not just because the restaurant inside is beautiful. Has anyone else noticed that food seems to be a major theme of my vacation?

No comments: