Saturday, November 24, 2007

The best laid plans...

Today, I was supposed to be at Kaylee's offical first birthday party. My car had other plans.

Dale says it's the thermostat. Dad says it could be radiator-related. I say it sucks, because I'm friggin' stranded.

On the one hand, I feel very grateful I didn't have a problem on my way to lovely Gillespie, Illinois, four hours from here. On the other, I'm a little disconcerted by the fact that I've spent the entire day alone in my apartment.

Alone. I'm still not good at the alone thing. At least not when I wasn't expecting it.

I went to Target and found a pink rug for the kitchen. Yes, pink. It's pretty. But that's about as much fun as I've had today. NOT what I wanted, NOT what I planned.

I missed monkey cupcakes, family and Della's special brand of hospitality. I missed the kind of unconditional love that only this family can offer. I missed my Charlie hug. (I did not, however, miss Hunky Mike, Bird's husband, because he wasn't there. Whew!) But most of all, I missed Mike and Rae and Kaylee, at the first big gathering of our extended family. That makes me sad.

But I will have my car looked at and it'll all be better soon. For the moment, I'm going to get back to wallowing.

No comments: