Monday, November 19, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-changes (with apologies to David Bowie)

Most of the time, change is good. Diapers spring immediately to mind. But smelly diapers aside, change can be scary. But as a rule, change is not the enemy. Change, I believe, is inevitable, yet friendly.

Most of my true friends have been around for awhile. People tend to come into my life and stick around for awhile. Patrick's known me for 27 years. Kelly's known me for 25 (unless you ask Marge, who'll tell you it's 35, but I swear to you I did not meet Kelly when I was six.) Kevin, about 20 years, Mike and Cute Brian and Di, 12 years, Rae, 11.

We've all seen each other change. We've seen each other become professionals, spouses, parents, crazy, rejected and lost. We've stood with each other through the good and bad, through death and the creation of life. I like to think we've grown together.

Often, when people leave our lives, the explanation is just two little words: "You've changed." Well, thank God for that. Imagine how much it would suck if we hadn't! Of course I'm thinking about when Christopher said those fateful words to me, and allow me to be the first to say "duh!" In the best of situations, people change, and my situation at the time was something less than the best. I was bound to change.

I've changed? Funny, but Patrick, Kelly, Rice, Brian, Rae, Di, Kevin ... they've seen me through the changes. And I've watched them change, too. The changes have brought us closer together. The changes have certainly kept things interesting over the years. So to my old friends, thank you for changing and growing with me. And to my new friends, I look forward to changing at your side. And to those who leave because we've changed, well ... may they one day come to terms with the fact that change is not the enemy. Change is merely the path we take to what's next.

Time may change me, but I can't trace time.

No comments: